It’s been a minute since I posted a recipe, but I know we are all still looking for new cocktails to devour. I’m so excited to share these below two cocktails from one of my favorite bartenders, Leslie Cobos. She put together a couple versions of classic mezcal cocktails including a mezcal collins recipe using a delicious and simple guava syrup.
I met Leslie when she was creating tasty mezcal cocktail creations at El Techo, the rooftop of El Destiladorestaurant in Oaxaca (El Techo just reopened for service, by the way). We hit it off immediately and I always looked forward to whatever cocktail she decided to make for me every visit. Each one was delicious, creative, and complex.
Leslie, a Mexican-American, is now back home in Austin, Texas, where she leads mezcal tastings and educational events. She’s the Brand Educator for 5 Sentidos mezcal in Texas and always blows me away with her extensive mezcal knowledge.
Mezcal Collins Recipe Ingredients: Classic Mezcal Cocktails
Prep time: 5 minutes (20-30 minutes with guayaba syrup recipe)
- 2oz Espadin (I used Montelobos Espadin) Shop other mezcals here.
- 1oz lemon juice
- ¾ oz guayaba (guava) syrup (see syrup recipe below)
- Sparkling water
- 1 hoja santa leaf (if you can’t find hoja santa, you can substitute lemon peel)
Mezcal Collins Recipe Steps: Classic Mezcal Cocktails
- Take a shaker or glass and add mezcal, lemon juice, syrup and ice.
- Shake it!
- Strain into a Collins glass and fill the glass with ice.
- Top off with sparkling water.
- Add hoja santa leaf (or lemon peel) as a garnish.